Each week when I go to the feria (Thursday Street Market) I am looking for what fresh and wonderful things they have for sale. Then I make my decision on what I will be serving during the next week. This week they had the most beautiful leeks so I had to have them. I paired them up with some good-looking potatoes and some pancetta and decided on Potato and Leek Soup.
Creamy Potato and Leek Soup
- 2 T of Olive oil
- 4 slices of bacon or smoked pancetta – cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary chopped fine (use fresh if you have it)
- 1 teaspoon adobo (here it is spice mix with several herbs and spices combined)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Add everything except the bacon to a good-sized pot, cook, allowing the spices to fragrance the kitchen do not burn. Add the pancetta and cook until crispy. Set aside a small quantity of this for a garnish.
- 4-6 good-sized leeks (trim green stalks and clean well to remove any grit)
- 4 or 5 large potatoes cut into cubes (I do not remove the peel – more roughage)
- 8-10 cups of stock chicken or vegetable (I used two bouillon cubes from Knorr)
- Pepper to taste
- fresh thyme sprigs (extra for the garnish)
Add the veggies to the spice mixture and sauté for just a few minutes, not to brown just for more flavor. Add your stock and cook for 30 minutes. Check to see if the potatoes are cooked. If not cooked through, give them another 10 minutes. Remove 3 ladles of the mixture to a plate and set aside. Using an immersion blender blend the remainder until it is smooth and creamy. Most recipes call for cream I think it tastes great without using it. After the soup has cooled a bit add back the potato mixture you set aside. Taste for seasoning and adjust according to your palate. When serving sprinkle the top with crispy pancetta and some fresh thyme.
Being raised in the US our custom was to have our main meal of the day at dinner time, after work. These were large heavy meals but our friend Eva suggested moving our main real to lunch making the dinner meal lighter. So that meal now consists of a bowl of hearty soup. That is why I make so many different soup recipes.