I received both yellow and brown mustard seeds from a blog friend and decided to make some beautiful fresh mustard.
Whole Grain Mustard
- 1/4 cup brown mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar (I used regular Heinz vinegar)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt or sal de mar
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar or honey (optional)
- you may want to add one of the following: 1 t dry tarragon leaves, 1/4 t allspice, a cinnamon stick, 1/8 t red pepper flakes or 1/4 t caraway seeds for flavoring
Put mustard seeds, wine and wine vinegar in a small bowl. Cover and let soak at room temperature for two days
Add mustard seeds and liquid to a blender, hold back 2 tablespoons of the seeds. Add salt, sugar and other flavoring blend until mustard is a thick consistency. Add the whole mustards seeds and put in clean jars and allow to sit in the refrigerator for two days before use.
Two beautiful jars of whole grain mustard. I took a taste – it won’t take much to add a great deal of zest to a sandwich or, better yet, sausage. One jar is already being given as a gift to our friends Eva and Fred. I know they will get a “kick” out of it.